Due to the high volume of review requests I receive, it may take some time for me to respond.
I am always looking for new books to read and am happy to consider review requests from authors and publishers in exchange for an honest review. I accept almost any format, though a hard copy is preferred and epub is the e-format I like most. I live in California, so that’s something to consider as far as hard copies go since I understand shipping costs can be difficult.
Please send all requests to firstname.lastname@example.org and include a short synopsis of the book or a link to the book’s Goodreads page. If you would like the book and review completed in a specific time frame, please include that information as well. Unfortunately, I can only accept books that are written in English.
How long will it take for me to complete the review?
Review requests emailed to me will take top priority and at minimum will be completed within a week of receiving the book. I do make it a priority to read physical copies first. At maximum, it may take 3-6 weeks, but only in the event that my schedule is very busy. I can work around special time requests. I currently have several books I have agreed to review and am taking on new responsibilities at work, so while I am happy to read and review your books, please note that it may take a little longer than noted above for the time being.
Where will the reviews be posted?
All reviews will be posted here on this blog and linked through to Twitter, Tumblr, Google+, and LinkedIn. Reviews will also be posted to Goodreads and Amazon. I do also occasionally post reviews to Barnes and Noble. If I received a hard copy of the book, I will also post a feature on Instagram. Upon request, I am willing to post reviews to other sites as well.
In addition, if I am sent a physical copy of your book I will feature it in a book haul post prior to reading it where I will discuss the synopsis and cover briefly. Please note, this option is only for physical copies and I will not do so for ebooks.
What genres do I accept?
I mostly read Young Adult fiction of any kind, however, I will accept most Fantasy, Science Fiction, Dystopian, New Adult, Contemporary, Historical Fiction, and Middlegrade. Other genres will typically be at my own discretion about the book, but I do read most fiction. I’m not a huge fan of romance, but I can be persuaded if the sex is not excessive and it has a good plot.
I do not care for, but can be persuaded to read the following genres (request at your own risk, reviews I write for books of these genres will likely reflect my dislike for them):
Aspects that may convince me to read books of the above genres:
Diverse characters (including but not limited to LGBTQ+, racial minorities [especially as main characters]).
Exceptional writing and plot.
Well developed characters (especially if they develop throughout the course of the book).
Please do not request reviews for books in the following genres (chances are I either won’t read them or will hate them):
Books will be rated on a scale of 1-5 stars. I don’t generally provide half star ratings, though I might if I am very unsure about what rating the book deserves.
- One star ratings are typically reserved for very poorly written books. These are the books that I might label DNF if I can’t force myself through it. Some reasons I may have for rating a book one star are that characters are poorly developed, dialogue is unrealistic, and either the writing or the plot has some serious problems. It is rare that I DNF a book, but it does happen occasionally.
- Two star ratings are for those books that weren’t utterly horrible but weren’t good either. These books usually have something going for them while they still have a few problems. These problems will likely be related to the overall writing quality of the book. Again, poorly developed characters, unrealistic dialogue, and issues with the writing or the plot will influence a rating like this.
- Three star ratings are for the books that were written well but just weren’t for me or for books that had a few problems with realism, character development, plot, and writing quality but none of these problems were excessive and are thus forgivable.
- Four star ratings are for the really good books that I enjoyed reading. These books are exceptionally well written and there are almost no errors in writing quality and plot and character development. I really connected with the story and will be excited to recommend and share it with people I know.
- If I give your book a five star rating I was extremely impressed with the book. The writing was excellent, the characters were fantastic, and the plot was brilliant. I have little or nothing to complain about when it comes to your book and I will most certainly be recommending it to everyone I know.